Alabama Culinary – Baking – Hospitality Schools
Culinary Institutes – Baking & Pastry Schools – Hospitality Management Programs in Alabama
With more that 15 schools in Alabama offering programs in culinary arts, baking and pastry, food science plus hospitality, restaurant and hotel management degrees. From big universities like Auburn and University of Alabama to community colleges including Faulkner State & Bishop State to professional schools like Culinard, the Culinary Institute of Virginia College in both Birmingham and Alabama.
|The Culinary Institute of Virginia College|
Culinary, Baking & Hospitality Career Outlook in Alabama
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the outlook for jobs in the restaurant, food service and hospitality industries is good with projected growth rates. The table below demonstrates some important information you may want to consider when deciding if going to culinary school and then working in Alabama is right for you.
|Occupation||Total Employment in Alabama (2014)||Average Salary in Alabama (2014||Annual Hourly Wage|
|Butchers & Meat Cutters||1,330||$27,370||$13.16|
|Chefs & Head Cooks||610||$46,710||$22.46|
|Cooks, Fast Food||9,580||$17,610||$8.47|
|Cooks, Short Order||2,050||$18,830||$9.05|
|Food Service Managers||2,020||$60,250||$28.97|
|Hosts and Hostesses||4,320||$17,790||$8.55|
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2014
Culinary & Hospitality Industry in Alabama Statistics
- SalarybyState.org – the average culinary salary for job posting in Alabama are 2% higher than the average nationwide in March of 2013.
- BLS* – In May of 2014, there were 610 Chefs & Head Cooks in the state of Alabama
- BLS – the average salary for these Chefs & Head Cooks was $46,710
- Alabama Dept of Labor – Average Hourly Wage for Chefs & Head Cooks is $21.42
The Restaurant Industry in Alabama
After you finish culinary school or restaurant management school you are going to find Alabama a great state for starting your career. The restaurant industry is flourishing in the state with $6.6 billion in annual sales.
According to restaurant.org:
- There were 7,516 eating and drinking places in Alabama
- $6.8 billion in restaurant sales projected 2015
- Restaurants will account for 181,700 (9%) jobs in Alabama in 2015
- By 2025 the projections are 209,500 jobs
Culinary – Baking/Pastry – Hospitality Management Schools in Alabama
- Auburn University – Hotel and Restaurant Management
Gulf Shores, AL
- Faulkner State Community College – Culinary Arts
- Wallace State Community College – Culinary Arts
- University of Alabama – Food & Nutrition