My Daughter’s Post About Danish Pancakes
The kids enjoyed a snow day last week so I asked my 11 year old daughter to write a post about one of her favorite breakfast treats – crepes or as we call them around here, Danish pancakes. These Danish pancakes, pandekager, should not be confused with another Danish pancake called Aebleskiver which are round doughy balls.
Pandekager Danish pancakes are flat and extremely thin compared to classic American pancakes. To me, they look and taste just like crepes.
I remember as a kid, my mor mor (mother’s mother) would make these pancakes for us and we would roll them up with strawberry jam and sprinkle them with powdered sugar.
After doing some research on the Internet, I have not been able to find anything showing a difference between crepes and pandekager although I did find recipes for both crepes and pandekager that include eggs and some do not.
I’ll also post some tips I figured out when making these on Saturday at the end of my daughter’s post, but for now please enjoy her recipe and story.
By my daughter Maddie in 5th Grade
What do think about Crepes?
How about that they came from Denmark? Make for your kids? Well this is my little fun story about them.
One day, when it was a snow day from school, I asked the Reluctant Gourmet to make Danish Pancakes, or as the Danish call them, pandekager, but we probably know them as crepes. I learned about them from the Reluctant Gourmet when he would talk about how he ate them as a kid (some kind of fruit or jam inside it and sugar sprinkled on top).
So I thought, why wouldn’t I want that? But sadly he didn’t have his mom’s famous recipe, so I did a little research to find a recipe. I asked my dad if this recipe was like the crepes he had when he was little. We changed it a bit for things we had around the house and started to make them. – Maddie
The Reluctant Gourmet’s Observations
- If you double up the batch, it is easier to use an electric mixer than a whisk.
- Use a non-stick pan. No need to add butter or oil if the heat is correct.
- After you add the batter, swirl the pan around to cover the bottom evenly.
- Don’t add too much batter – you want thin pancakes. After the first one or two, you’ll get a feel for how much batter to add.
- Start at medium and adjust higher or lower depending how the pancakes are cooking.
- I found it best to wait until you can free up the pancakes by shaking the pan before turning them over.
- Follow the 75/25 rule – that is cook the pancakes on one side for 75% of the time, flip and cook the remaining 25% of the time.
- This recipe makes enough pancakes for two hungry kids with maybe a couple leftover for the cook but if you want enough for four people, double up the batch.
- This is a great dish to make WITH your kids. Not only will they have a blast making them with you, it’s a great way to introduce them to cooking and they’ll love eating them.
- GREAT JOB Maddie, thanks for the contribution!
- fresh fruit – cut up strawberry’s, bananas, blueberries, raspberries, etc
- jam or jelly
- sour cream or cottage cheese
- whipped cream
- chocolate sauce
What’s Your Favorite Filling?
This is how you make Pandekager or Danish Pancakes.