Leftover Beef and Vegetable Soup
How to make a tasty beef and vegetable soup using leftover beef from the night before.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time1 hr
Total Time1 hr 15 mins
- 3 onions peeled and diced
- 2 stalks of celery diced
- 1 package mushrooms 12 – 14 oz chopped
- 6 fresh carrots peeled and diced
- 4 tbsp butter ½ stick
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 3 sweet potatoes peeled and cubed
- Beef leftovers – any kind of steak cubed ¼ teaspoon
- crushed red pepper - to taste
- Salt & pepper - to taste
- 1 can black beans with liquids approximately 15 oz.
- 1 can red kidney beans with liquids approximately 15 oz.
In a large soup pot, saute the onions, carrots, mushrooms and celery in the butter over medium-high heat for about 7 to 8 minutes.
Add the beef stock, Worcestershire sauce, and sweet potatoes. Bring to a boil and then lower heat to simmer.
Add the cooked beef to the pot, crushed red pepper and season with a little salt & pepper. Simmer for about an hour with the cover on.
Remove the cover, add the black and red beans and simmer for an additional ½ hour to 1 hour with the cover off.
Taste and adjust seasoning with salt & pepper.
Options Try using any leftover vegetables you might have around. This is a great soup to clean out your refrigerator of leftovers.