Spicy Shrimp and Lentils Recipe
How to Make Great Spicy Shrimp Served with Lentils
Servings: 4 servings
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large shallot finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger peeled and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger peeled and finely chopped
- 2 plum tomatoes cored and chopped
- 1½ teaspoons Garam Masala
- salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 cup dried red lentils
- 1½ pounds shrimp peeled and cleaned
- 3 cups baby spinach washed
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut cream
- fresh cilantro chopped for garnish
Season the Shrimp
In a bowl big enough to hold all the shrimp, combine the teaspoon of fresh ginger, 1 teaspoon Garam Masala, a little salt & pepper with the shrimp. Let this all stand for 10 minutes while you start the lentils.
Cook the Lentils
Start by heating a large saute (frying) pan or Dutch oven over medium heat. When hot, add 1 tablespoon of butter to the pan.
When it melts, add the shallot, garlic and 1 tablespoon of fresh ginger. Give it a stir and saute until the shallot starts to become translucent - 2 to 3 minutes.Important: Don't let the garlic burn or it will become bitter. Make sure you watch, stir and lower heat if you think the garlic is starting to burn.
Add the tomatoes. Season with salt & pepper and continue cooking for 3 minutes.
Add the lentils, stir to combine with the other ingredients and add 3 cups of water (chicken or fish stock if you want to add even more flavor to this dish). Bring the liquid to a simmer being careful not to let it boil. Cook for about 12 minutes until the lentils start to tender and the mixture starts to thicken up.
Add ½ teaspoon of the Garam Marsala and cook for another 3 minutes.
Add the spinach and coconut cream to the lentils and stir to combine. The spinach will wilt into the lentils. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper if needed.