Tuna Casserole with Dill
A classic tuna casserole made to today's culinary standards.
- 12 ounces egg noodles
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 stick butter equals 8 ounces
- 1 leak white and pale green parts only, cleaned, finely chopped
- 1 large yellow onion finely chopped
- 10 ounces mushrooms your choice
- ¼ cup white wine and some more to enjoy while cooking
- 2 teaspoons thyme finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 2½ cups vegetarian stock chicken stock if you like
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 6 ounces white cheddar cheese grated
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce optional
- 12 ounces oil-packed tuna drained and shredded by hand
- 2 cups potato chips
- zest of ¼ lemon
- 2 tablespoons chives finely chopped
Cook the Pasta
Bring a large pot of water to boil, add salt and cook the egg noodles for just a couple of minutes.
Drain the pasta immediately and let it cool .
Saute the Vegetables
Heat a large fry pan over medium high heat. When hot, melt 4 tablespoons of butter.
Add the leek and onion and saute for 8 minutes until soft.
Add the mushrooms and raise the heat to medium-high. Mushrooms contain a lot of water and it will release when cooking. Stir and continue cooking for 5 minutes or until all the mushroom liquid has evaporated.
Add the wine and cook until it is cooked off, about 2 minutes.
Add the Worcestershire sauce and fresh thyme.
Make the Cream Sauce
Heat a medium sized saucepan over medium-low heat. When hot, add 4 tablespoons butter and melt. Now to make the roux, whish in the flour and cook until the flour butter mixture turns golden. You want it to be smooth. Takes about 2 minutes.
Whisk in the veggie stock, whisking constantly and bring to a boil.
Reduce the heat to medium and add the cheddar, cream and hot sauce if you are using. Stir until the cheese is melted.
Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.
Finish the Casserole
With the remaining tablespoon of butter, grease the baking dish.
Spoon the tuna mixture to the baking dish.
Place the casserole in the pre-heated oven and bake for 15 - 20 minutes until the chips lightly brown and the edges start to bubble.
When the casserole is done, remove and top with lemon zest.
Let the casserole sit for 6 minutes. Top with dill and chives.
Serve and watch your family and friend devour.