The Advantages of Taking Online Hospitality Management Classes
Let’s face it, going to a traditional college or university can be expensive and extremely time consuming. For some of us, taking time off from our current jobs to go to school to improve our position or change careers entirely is just not possible.
With the cost of a degree steadily going up as well as the added difficulty of getting into some selective schools, many prospective students are turning to online programs. In 2012, there were almost 3 million students enrolled in fully online programs. Add another 6 million students taking at least one online course as part of their degree program * and you can see why online education is growing at its current rate.
ONLINE HOSPITALITY MANAGEMENT SCHOOLS
What Are the Advantages of Taking Online Hospitality Management Classes?
If you are unfamiliar with all the career opportunities associated with Hospitality Management, you will benefit from checking out the posts at Hospitality Management Careers where you can read articles on various subjects associated with this field.
There are many reasons high school graduates and working professionals are taking the time to enroll and complete hospitality management courses online. Below are some of the advantages we found for online hospitality courses.
1. Convenience – take classes and study on your own schedule. If you are currently working a full time job—whether it is in the hospitality industry or not—finding time to take classes may not work with your schedule. You may be working crazy hours or have family to attend to and need to fit school time in with everything else going on.
2. Cost Savings – although not all online hospitality management degrees are less expensive than traditional schools programs, the “associated” costs that go hand in hand with traditional schools can be much less.There is no commute so you save on gas and other automobile costs like parking. If you don’t drive and use commuter services like a bus or subway, you again save on these fares.
You don’t have to leave your current job to go to school. If you have children, you don’t have to hire a babysitter when you are attending class. Because it is an online program, many of the learning materials you need for each class (such as textbooks) are most likely found online. This alone can save you a considerable portion of your overall costs.
3. Location – imagine getting up in the morning, having breakfast and going into a room with a computer to start your hospitality management studies in your casual clothes or even your pajamas.
Not having to get in the car, drive some distance to a brick and mortar school, find parking and attend class for an hour or two might be an attractive option for you.
Taking online classes at your own house gives you the comforts of home while helping you work on earning your management degree. Not only will this save you time (and time is money), you’ll also save on gas plus wear and tear on your car!
And what about bad weather? You don’t have to worry about going out in a snowstorm or driving rain to get to class. No matter how bad conditions are outside, you won’t be late for class.
4. Accessibility – if you are disabled and want to enter the hospitality industry, going to school online may be the best way to earn your degree. Removing the challenges of attending classes on a campus may be the difference between going for a degree or not.For those with visual or hearing disabilities, learning from home on a computer adapted to help them with their needs may also make a difference.
5. Interaction – if you are not comfortable in a classroom setting, communicating online may be a better way for you to interact with other students in a program. Because of the social dimension of online learning, some students find they interact more with their fellow students then they would in person.
6. Program Variety – whether you are looking for a career certificate or a bachelor of science in hospitality management, there is a good chance you’ll be able to find a program that meets your needs online.
The number of schools offering online management programs including hotel & restaurant management, event management, food & beverage operations, and culinary management are growing all the time. We have seen the number of schools offering online management programs increase every year for the past few years.
Conclusion – If you are the type of person who needs the flexibility to manage your own schedules, work at your own pace and complete assignments in your own time, earning an online hospitality management degree may just be your best choice.