Old School Cooking
If you have never tried cooking in a clay pot before, you can just think about trying it. There are a lot of advantages, including juicier meats and poultry, low-fat cooking, and my favorite, one-pot meals that make clean-up easy. This is revealed in the curry chicken in a clay pot.
I initially learned about them when I received a clay pot as a gift and a great cookbook, The One-Pot and Clay-Pot Cookbook, from my sister-in-law Judy. Although it sat on my bookshelf for a while before trying any of the recipes, I changed my mind in a hurry once I tried one of them.
If you want to learn more about Clay Pots, please read my article on my website called "What's So Great About Cooking In a Clay Pot?" on my website. It will teach you how they work, their advantages, what type to buy for home cooking, how to use them, and a good source for buying one.
This recipe came from Romertopf Clay Bakers, one of the leading manufacturers of Clay Pots. It was given to me by Bill Marbach from Romertopf and lots of exciting information about cooking with clay pots.
If you enjoy this one, I will post a few more.
Curry Chicken in a Clay Pot
- 1 pound skinless boneless chicken thighs
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 6 small red potatoes cut into ½-inch slices
- 1 small carrot peeled and cut into ¼-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons garlic minced
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 medium tomato cut into ½-inch wedges
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 green onion with top, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Trim the fat from the chicken and cut the chicken into 1-inch cubes.
- In a bowl, combine the salt, pepper, ginger, and cornstarch. Toss the chicken with the cornstarch mixture and set aside.
- Bring 2 cups water to a boil in a saucepan over high heat. Add the potatoes and carrot, cover, and cook two minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat a nonstick skillet or wok over high heat until hot.
- Add the vegetable oil and the chicken; stir and cook until lightly browned, about 1 minute.
- Add the garlic, onion, curry powder, and tomato and stir-fry 1 minute.
- Add the potatoes, carrot, soy sauce, and sugar and continue to stir until well mixed.
- Turn off the heat and transfer the mixture to the preheated clay pot. Cover the clay pot and return to the preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Some of My Favorite Chicken Recipes
- Chicken Baked in Cornbread Recipe
- Sheet Pan Chicken with Roasted Plums Potatoes and Onions
- Quick and Easy Sweet and Sour Chicken Recipe
- Chicken Mushroom and Spinach Comfort Food Recipe
- Southern California Style Chicken with Rice and Beans Recipe
- Chicken Thighs with Mushrooms and Artichoke Hearts Recipe
- Simple Chicken - Tomato - Pasta Recipe
- Chicken Korma Recipe