Seafood Sauce for Your Favorite Fish Recipes
“A remarkable blend of sweet and hot flavors. A beautiful presentation on a dark green plate.” – Chef David
Click Here to see my interview with Chef David including tips to home cooks.
Curry Sauce for Sea Scallops
For the Vietnamese Tangerine Marinade:
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 red jalapeno seeded, ribs removed, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 4 tablespoons tangerine juice
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- ¼ cup nuoc mam vietnamese fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon Mirin sweet rice cooking wine
For the Yellow Curry Sauce
- 14 ounces coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon yellow curry paste
- 2½ tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon roux
For the Scallops
- 2 pounds scallops rinsed, side muscle removed
- 6 ounces Vietnamese tangerine marinade
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro chopped
For the Marinade
- Combine garlic, jalapeno, sugar, and the juices in the blender and liquefy.
- Add the vinegar, fish sauce and mirin. Blend for 5 seconds.
- Can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator.
- A dried pequin pepper can be used if red jalapenos are out of season.
For the Curry Sauce
- Combine the coconut milk, curry paste, fish sauce, and sugar in a saucepan and bring it to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add the roux, stir briskly and cook for 5 minutes until the sauce thickens.
For the Scallops
- Thoroughly rinse the sea scallops and remove the tough little muscle that clings to the side of each one.
- Place them in a bowl large enough to hold the scallops and the marinade for 20 minutes.
- Drain the scallops, and discard the marinade.
- Heat the peanut oil in a large heavy skillet until just about smoking point.
- Place the scallops in the skillet, making sure that they lie on one of their flat surfaces. Sear them for about 4 minutes, and turn them over for 2-3 more minutes.
- Place 2-3 ounces of curry sauce on one side of four warm plates.
- Remove the scallops from the pan and place them on the pool of sauce.
- Sprinkle with fresh cilantro.
- Serve with steamed or fried rice, and steamed broccoli with lemon butter.