How to Prepare An Extremely Low Calorie Chicken Thighs and Cole Slaw Dinner?
This week I started a new diet called The 5:2 Diet where you eat normally for 5 days a week and eat extremely low calorie meals on the other 2 days. The goal for me is to eat a total of 600 calories on the fasting days - a 200 - 300 calorie breakfast, fast for 12 hours and then a 300 calorie dinner.
This recipe is adapted from Diana Clayton's 5:2 Diet Recipes All Under 300 Calories and served as my first low calorie dinner. How did it taste? Well, after not eating for 12 hours, most anything would be delicious but this meal was pretty good for something so low cal.
If you're looking for a more tasty cole slaw but with a lot more calories, be sure to check out my recipe for my Dad's cole slaw but this is about cutting calories. The marinade looks extremely simple but it does give the chicken thighs a nice flavor.
We made this for dinner but I had leftovers for lunch the next day and both the chicken and the cole slaw were even better.
Low Cal Chicken Thighs with Cole Slaw Recipe
- 4 chicken thighs boneless - skinless
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons ketchup low fat - whatever that is
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 orange juice and zest from it
- 1 small white cabbage thinly sliced into strips (we used a small bag of pre-sliced cabbage)
- 2 medium carrots cut into thin matchsticks (we used pre-cut matchstick carrots)
- 1 small onion peeled, cut in half and thinly sliced into half rings
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise low fat, it was dry so we used 2 tablespoons
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the honey, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, orange juice and orange zest in a small bowl and whisk together.
- Cut some slash marks into the chicken thighs and add them to the bowl with marinade to coat completely.
- Place the chicken thighs into a shallow baking dish or tray and cook for 30 minutes or until tender. After the first 15 minutes of cooking, coat the chicken thighs with the leftover marinade using a spoon.
- While the chicken thighs are baking, prep the vegetables. Combine the cabbage, carrots and onion.
- Add the mayonnaise and fennel seeds, stir to combine and taste. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- When the chicken is done, serve some cole slaw onto a plate, top with one of the chicken thighs and serve.