Merlot Sauce for Veal, Beef or Venison
With the holidays fast approaching, some of you may be thinking about what you’ll be serving for Christmas dinner. Some of you may choose goose or turkey or ham but then there are the fans of crown roast or filet Mignon and that’s where this sauce pairs well with.
Merlot is one of the world’s premier wine grapes. Although planted worldwide, it is the Bordeaux region of France, particularly St.-Emilion and Pomerol where Merlot is brought to unparalleled heights.
A supple, yet still rich wine, at its best Merlot is sublimely exquisite and refined.
Such Merlots can be exorbitantly expensive however. But there are plenty of reasonably priced in Merlots in the New World, Italy and even France that are more than suitable for sauce making.
I say this recipe serves 4 to 6 people because if you are serving it with mashed potatoes, there’s only going to be enough for 4 people.
Merlot Sauce Recipe
- Heat up a sauce pan and when hot, add the butter.
- Sauté the shallot in the butter on medium high heat for 3 - 4 minutes.
- Add the Merlot and thyme, and reduce by three quarters.
- Add the demi glace and simmer for a few minutes.
- Whisk in the heavy cream.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper, to taste.