How to Prepare a Delicious Sauce Supreme
Some chefs take it a step further and enhance it with mushroom flavor. This can certainly be done by adding mushroom stock.
But an easier and still highly flavorful alternative is soaking dried mushrooms in hot water and utilizing the water in the sauce, as in the recipe below.
Best Served With: chicken, scrambled eggs, omelets, fish and vegetables
Sauce Supreme Recipe
- 4 tablespoons mushroom cooking liquid optional
- 1 cup white chicken stock
- 1 cup Velouté sauce
- 4 oz. heavy cream or more to taste
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- For the mushroom cooking liquid, place a full handful of dried mushrooms, (preferably porcini) into a small saucepan. In a separate pot boil some water.
- Pour enough boiling water over the mushrooms just to cover. Cover the mushrooms with a lid and allow them to steep for 20-30 minutes.
- Strain the liquid through cheesecloth. Reserve 4 tablespoons for the recipe and the remainder of the liquid and mushrooms for another use.
- Combine the mushroom liquid, stock and veloute in a pot. Bring to a boil and reduce by half.
- Add the heavy cream, butter, salt and pepper and reduce to desired thickness.