Cranberry Sauce with Orange
I found this recipe in my wife's 1978 cookbook called The Vegetarian Epicure Book Two. The cookbook is held together with some tape and lots of hope.
This is a great recipe for cranberry sauce for turkey or chicken. We prepare this every year for Thanksgiving but with all that's going on, be sure to put it on the table. One year we didn't.
Fresh Orange Cranberry Sauce
- 1½ cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups cranberries cleaned and picked over
- 1 medium orange unpeeled and chopped fine
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- dash cinnamon
- dash cloves
- dash cardamom powder
- Wash the cranberries and pick through them looking for any loose stems or stones. Leaving the peel on, finely chop the orange and you are ready to start.
- Combine the sugar with 1 cup of the water in a medium-sized saucepan and heat until sugar dissolves.
- Add cranberries, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes, uncover, and simmer for another 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add the remaining ½ cup of water, chopped orange, ginger, cinnamon, and cardamom powder, then simmer for 20 minutes, stirring often. Chill the sauce.