Avocado & Red Quinoa Salad - Good & Good for You
Of late, Quinoa (pronounced “Keen-wah”) has grown in popularity, and people are choosing the grain because it is a fast-cooking meal staple with a high nutritional value. Quinoa is a crop that is cultivated for the edible seeds that it produces.
Quinoa has been described as a “Superfood”—a classification of foods that are supposedly packed with a ton of healthy nutrients.
Quinoa is a gluten-free grain that is rich in amino acids (it contains all nine essential amino acids) and is also a great source of protein, iron, and calcium. If you are looking for a healthier alternative to rice, or if you have vegan or gluten restrictions—quinoa is your go to grain.
You can buy both red, white, black, and brown quinoa at the supermarket, and the different colors arise because they are just separate varieties of the crop.
All have the same nutritional value but I prefer the red kind because it has a more pronounced, nutty flavor and the color looks great in any dish you’re serving.
Once you cook the red quinoa, it develops a light brownish color and should be able to keep in the fridge for about 4 to5 days.
Recently, my wife and I have been making a big bowl of quinoa at the beginning of the week and using it in different meals. We just added it to a delicious avocado salad, and I provided the recipe below.
Avocado and Red Quinoa Salad Recipe
- Combine the cooked and chilled red quinoa with the corn, cilantro, tomato and scallions in a large bowl.
- Gently add the diced avocado and stir to combine.
- Add the extra virgin olive oil and the juice from the lemon. Being as careful as you can so not to mush the avocado, stir everything together.
- Season with salt and pepper, taste and adjust with more oil, lemon, salt or pepper.
Some of My Favorite Salad Recipes
- How to Make a Basic Orzo Salad
- What Is Cowboy Caviar and How To Make at Home
- Arugula Salad with Roasted Beets Pistachio and Goat Cheese Recipe
- Grilled Radicchio and Corn Salad Recipe
- Kale Salad with Lemon and Garlic Dressing Recipe
- Cilantro Cole Slaw Recipe
- All About Salad Greens
- Sun-Dried Tomato Vinaigrette Recipe For Fish