Carrot Fennel Soup
I adapted this recipe for carrot fennel soup from Kim O’Donnel’s The Meat Lover’s Meatless Celebrations
My neighbor is an investment advisor and each month we receive his firm’s newsletter with various articles celebrating “life in America”. I found this recipe in the most recent edition.
I love carrots and think fennel is one of the most under-rated vegetables available so I had to give this one a try.
Carrot Fennel Soup As A Sauce
Because this soup is nice and thick, you can use it as a sauce for ravioli and carrot fennel sauce.
Carrot Fennel Soup Recipe
Prep the Ingredients
- Remove and reserve the fonds from the fennel for future homemade vegetable stock. Cut the bulb into ¼ inch slices.
- Peel and chop the onion into medium sized pieces then peel the garlic and leave it whole.
- Peel the carrots and cut them into 2 inch pieces.
- Scrub the sweet potato and cut it into 2 inch pieces.
- Gather the rest of the ingredients and have them at the ready.
Make the Soup
- Heat a soup pot over medium heat, add oil and add the fennel, onion and garlic. Cook for approximately 5 minutes until the onions soften and become a bit translucent.
- Add the carrots and sweet potato; stir to coat both with oil. Add the coriander, paprika and a pinch of salt. Give everything a little stir.
- Add the vegetable stock and raise the heat to high until the soup begins to boil.
- Immediately lower the heat to low, cover and let simmer for 30 minutes. At this time the vegetables will be tender.
- WHILE THE SOUP IS SIMMERING, toast the fennel seeds in a small pan over low heat. A good way to keep them from burning is to gently shake the pan while they are cooking.
- Remove and reserve for garnishing the soup as shown in the photo.
- When the soup is done simmering, it’s time to puree.
- When the soup is smooth, carefully give it a taste and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper.
- Ladle some soup into your favorite soup bowls, sprinkle some of the toasted fennel seeds on top and serve this tasty soup with some fresh made bread.