A Healthy Vegetarian Soup With "Multi-Sensory Experience"
This recipe was sent to me from a home cook by the name of Deb. As she explains to me,
My husband and I were dining at a macrobiotic restaurant (a new dining experience for us) with another couple. The menu included African Peanut Soup, which one of our friends recommended, so we tried it. What a wonderful multi-sensory experience!! The recipe was found in the November 1994 issue of Vegetarian Times. Enjoy.
African Peanut Soup
- As with most soups, there is a fair amount of prep. For this recipe you need to peel and chop the onions, chop the peppers, mash the garlic and get the rest of the ingredients ready to add to the pot.
- In a large soup pot, sauté onions, bell peppers and garlic in oil until onions begin to brown around the edges, about 7 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and juice, broth, pepper and red pepper flakes. Simmer, uncovered, over low heat about 15 minutes.
- Add rice, cover and simmer until rice is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Add the peanut butter; whisk until smooth.
- Heat to a simmer and serve immediately, garnished with chopped roasted peanuts.