Deer Valley Turkey Chili
- 2 cups dried black beans
- 10 cups water
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 2 medium Anaheim chilies seeded, chopped
- ⅔ cup red onion chopped
- ⅔ cup celery chopped
- ⅔ cup red bell pepper chopped
- 1 large leek white part only
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano crumbled
- ¼ cup corn flour
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 2½ tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoons salt
- ⅛ cup sugar
- 4½ cup chicken stock
- 2¼ cup frozen corn thawed
- 4 cups cooked turkey diced
- cheddar cheese grated
- red onion
- sour cream
- fresh cilantro
- Soak black beans in large pot overnight. The next day you will drain & cook them.
- Seed and chop the chilies, chop the onion, celery, red pepper and leek.
- Mince the garlic and get the rest of the ingredients ready to cook.
- Add 10 cups water and pepper to the drained beans. Bring them to a boil, simmer 1½ hours. Drain.
- Melt butter in pot; add chilies, onion, celery, bell peppers, leek, garlic and oregano. Cook until soft, about 10 minutes. Reduce heat to low.
- Add the flour and spices, cook 5 minutes.
- Add the sugar and 4 cups stock and bring to simmer.
- Puree 1¼ cup of the corn with the remaining ½ cup of stock. Add this to chili.
- Mix black beans, turkey and remaining cup of corn. Simmer all for 25 minutes.
- Garnish with grated cheddar cheese, red onion, sour cream, & fresh cilantro.