Wild Mushroom Sauce Recipe for Steak
This recipe for steak with wild mushroom sauce was posted in 1997 and is one of the first recipes I posted on this site. I've made a few changes, but it still holds up. - RG
My wife and I spent Valentine's Day 1997 with five good friends who flew in from both coasts. Living in Park City and being a holiday weekend, this was a perfect opportunity for our friends to visit and do a little skiing.
Cooking for seven may not be as romantic as I would like, but it can be a lot of fun.
My idea was to put together a meal that includes foods that are orgasmic. We'd start with fresh figs stuffed with mascarpone and some brie cheese.
Being a bunch of meat eaters, I decided on sliced steak with a wild mushroom sauce served with mashed potatoes and steamed asparagus. And for a salad...organic mixed greens with a Dijon vinaigrette. Where's the chocolate? How about a chocolate soufflé?
The Secret Ingredient For Restaurant Quality Sauces
Here is my recipe for grilled steak with wild mushroom sauce. Click on my link to see how I like to make perfect mashed potatoes.
The recipe for wild mushroom sauce calls for demi-glace, one of the most essential ingredients for making sauces. Demi Glace is challenging to prepare from scratch and can take hours and hours, but it is now available in commercial form.
There are now several highly-rated commercial demi-glace products available on the market. Below, I've listed several you can find at Amazon, and as new manufacturers develop them, I'll add them.
Steak with Wild Mushroom Sauce
- Preheat your grill until it’s really hot.
- Season the steaks with a little salt and pepper.
- The meat should be cooked approximately 3-4 minutes per side depending how you like your steaks.When done, slice the steaks into ¼ inch strips, fan out on a warm plate and add your wild mushroom sauce.
Prepare Wild Mushroom Sauce
- Melt butter in a sauce pan and sauté shallots until transparent, approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Add red wine, preferably something you may be sipping while you are preparing this meal. Don’t use plain old cooking wine, big mistake.
- Add mushrooms and cook until tender and wine has reduced to an essence.
- Add demi glace and stir (with a whisk if you have one) until combined with the shallots.
- Simmer until the sauce has thickened, approximately 8-10 minutes or until it is thick enough to coat a spoon.
- Salt and pepper to taste and serve over the steaks (and mashed potatoes if you like).
Some of My Favorite Sauce Recipes
My Top Choices for Demi Glace