One of my wife’s best friends from college, Beth Roberts, met her husband on the Internet. So did Beth’s best friend. So the two of them got together and wrote a book, Finding Your Mate Online: No Fear, No Embarrassment, Just Love!
I asked Beth to send me the recipe to one of her first meals she prepared for her now husband Warren. She sent me the following recipe and story that I wanted to share with you.
When Warren and I were first dating, after having met on the internet (7-1/2 years ago!), we decided to take a cooking class together. We found this great school on Melrose Avenue in Hollywood that had the brightest, cleanest kitchen we’ve ever seen.
We learned how to make these salmon toasts, and now whenever we have to bring an appetizer to a party, this is what we make. It’s fresh, tasty, and healthy, but best of all, whenever we make it, it reminds us of our early days of falling in love!
Smoked Salmon Cones with Green Herb Salsa
- ¼ cup Vidalia onion finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ¼ cup minced flat leaf parsley
- 1 jalapeno seeded and finely chopped
- 3 medium radishes finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon cilantro minced
- 2 tablespoon chives minced
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- coarse salt to taste
- 6 oz smoked salmon thinly sliced & cut into 3-inch squares
- 9 thin slices whole wheat bread crusts removed, bread cut into 18 triangles and toasted
- In a small bowl, combine the onion and sugar, add cold water to cover and set aside for 15 minutes.
- Drain, then rinse under cold water. Drain again, shaking to remove the excess water. Pat dry.
- In a medium bowl, toss the onion with the parsley, jalapeno, radishes, cilantro and chives.
- Add the oil and lemon juice and season with the coarse salt.
- Spoon 2 teaspoons of the salsa onto each piece of salmon and roll up into a cone.
- Set each cone on a piece of toast, then arrange on a platter and serve.