What To Do With Leftover Peaches?
Every summer there seems to be a glut of delicious fresh local peaches but what to do with them all. How about some peach pecan bread?
Peach Pecan Bread
- 1½ cups peeled and chopped local peaches
- 2 eggs beaten
- ⅓ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup natural bran
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup brown sugar firmly packed
- ⅓ cup butter
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg freshly grated
- ½ cup pecans ground
- Combine peaches, eggs, milk, bran and vanilla; let stand 15 minutes.
- Beat together sugar and butter until creamy. Stir in peach mixture.
- Combine all-purpose and whole-wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda and spices.
- Beat into peach mixture with a few light, rapid strokes, just until moistened.
- Stir in nuts.
- Spoon into well-greased 8-½-inch x 4-½-inch loaf pan.
- Bake in 350° F oven 45 to 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack before cutting.