An “All-In-One” Side Dish
This is one of those great side dish recipe that your entire family will love… that is if they like potatoes and Brussels sprouts. Lucky for me, my kids do. It’s an “all-in-one” recipe that combines a starch and a vegetable that’s fun and nutritious.
It couldn’t be easier to prepare. A little dicing, a little roasting and you are ready to serve. The secret is in the size of the dice you cut the potatoes and Brussels Sprouts. You want them to be small so they cook quickly and look delicate when presenting.
There are basically 5 different dice sizes that professional chefs consider.
- Large dice = ¾ inch x ¾ inch x ¾ inch
- Medium dice = ½ inch x ½ inch x ½ inch
- Small dice = ¼ inch x ¼ inch x ¼ inch
- Brunoise = 1/8 inch x 1/8 inch x 1/8 inch
- Fine Brunoise = 1/16 inch x 1/16 inch x 1/16 inch
Although we didn’t cut the potatoes and Brussels Sprouts into perfect cubes (especially difficult to cut round Brussels Sprouts into cubes), we tried to get them to a small dice.
We started with really small Brussels Sprouts so all I had to do was quarter them. Regular sized Brussels Sprouts would take more cutting.
Roasted Diced Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Peel the potatoes, then dice them to ¼ inch pieces and put into a bowl.
- Cut the Brussels Sprouts in ¼ inch pieces too and put them in the same bowl.
- Add the olive oil and stir to combine.
- Season with salt & pepper and mix well.
- Transfer the potatoes and Brussels Sprouts to a baking pan in a single layer. Bake for 25 minutes in the oven until the potatoes soften up and start to turn brown.
- Remove and serve.