“Simple Shrimp Risotto but Delicious”
Here’s A Rich & Delicious Recipe for Shrimp Risotto
This recipe comes from a Forbes-August 11, 1997 article called And Don’t Forget the Saffron. Michael Lomonaco, one time executive chef for the World Trade Center restaurant, taught it to the author of the article, Daniel Roth.
Chef Lomonaco explains in the article how using saffron,spices up the appearance and is sensual. He also suggests using homemade chicken stock over canned chicken broth and strongly points out that using cooking wine instead of white wine is ” a major no-no.
Shrimp Risotto Recipe
- Prep the Ingredients
- Assemble the ingredients required for this wonderful risotto. If you are using frozen shrimp, hopefully you already defrosted them. If you haven't, check out my article on working with shrimp. It will also describe how you may want to peel and de-vein the shrimp.
- Finely dice the onion and have the chicken stock ready to go. You can wait to grate the Parmesan cheese until you are ready to use it or if you like, get it done now.
- Bring your chicken stock to a boiling point and have ready at stove side.
- In a large skillet with a heavy bottom, heat oil over low heat and sauté onions until translucent.
- Add rice, stir to coat with oil and sauté with onions to toast each grain, approx. 7 minutes.
- Once toasted, add white wine slowly, stirring with a wooden spoon. ( I like to remove the pot from the heat source before adding wine.)
- Add saffron. Once the rice has absorbed the wine, add 1 cup chicken stock, stirring occasionally.
- Continue adding stock as the rice absorbs the liquid and the pot becomes dry, until all the stock is absorbed. Chef Lomonaco explains, "Adding liquid in stages allow grains of rice to expand more fully, adding to the risotto's creamy texture"
- This whole process should take about 30 - 40 minutes and the risotto will be a little chewy (to your liking) and should have a creamy texture.
- With 2 - 3 minutes left - and please, this will depend on you and your stove, so don't worry too much about timing - add the shrimp and cook until done.
- Add the butter, Parmesan and heavy cream. Stir to combine ingredients.
- Taste and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper, then serve.