How to Make a Delicious Shrimp Sauce at Home
The secret to cooking shrimp is using high heat, quickly searing them on each side, and then removing them from the heat. Shrimp, like all shellfish are highly vulnerable to over-cooking which imparts them with a rubbery texture.
For an added boost of flavor, add the shrimp shells to the liquid as you reduce it and then strain them out at the end. This shrimp sauce is based off a fish Velouté base sauce you can read about and learn how to make by following the link.
I've searched for commercial sources for Velouté sauce and found many commercial fish stock available but not Velouté sauce. I'll keep looking but if you have a source, please share it below in the Comments section.
Check out my post How Do I Know When Shrimp Are Perfectly Cooked & Ready to Eat?
Shrimp Sauce Recipe
- In a medium sized saucepan, heat the butter and quickly sauté the shrimp. Remove the shrimp and reserve.
- Add the fish Velouté, heavy cream and fish stock.
- Reduce sauce to desired thickness being sure to stir consistently.
- Return the shrimp to the sauce.
- Season with the salt and peppers and serve.