A Great Sauce, Especially in the Winter
This is one of my favorite pasta meals. It’s easy and you can play around with it by adding different ingredients. Once made it’s like money in the bank…. eat it the same night or deposit it in the freezer and when withdrawn, the taste pays off dividends.
Sometimes when I know I won’t be around all day (like when I am skiing in a foot of fresh powder) I make it in a crock pot and let it cook all day. When you walk in the door and the smell hits you, Wow!
It’s usually made with beef, but I like to mix beef and veal or beef and lamb to give it a real “peasant” taste. Let me know what you think. RG
Reluctant Gourmet’s Tips
- Try using all chopped veal or lamb for a stronger flavor.
- Never cook with a wine you wouldn’t drink.
- Puree the tomatoes right in their can with a hand blender.
- Check out my tips on sauté and deglazing.
- Try using carrots instead of sugar to sweeten your sauces.