Basil Cream Sauce Pasta Recipe
I want to introduce you to Chef Mark Vogel, culinary instructor, food writer and doctor of psychology. He has contributed several food articles on my web site including So You Want To Be A Chef that I just recently posted.
Chef Vogel graduated from the Institute of Culinary Education in New York City and has been writing a syndicated food column "Food for Thought" for a number of periodicals and web sites. I'm hoping he may help me on occasion with my "Ask A Chef" feature answering your cooking questions more thoroughly.
Mark just told me about his new web site Food For Thought that contains all of his writings plus a bunch of Mark's recipes. I encourage you to check it out when you have a free moment (and come back to The Reluctant Gourmet when you are finished of course).
And to really whet your appetite on what you will find at Chef Vogel's new site, I'm posting his recipe for Pasta with Basil Cream Sauce. I think you will enjoy it.
And don't forget to read my Novice to Pro interview with Chef Vogel.
Pasta with Basil Cream Sauce
- While the pasta is cooking heat the oil and/or butter in a pan with the hot pepper.
- Add the onion, salt and pepper and cook until the onion softens.
- Add the garlic and cook one more minute.
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Add the cream and barely return it to a gentle simmer. Since it is light cream, over cooking can cause it to break. Of course you could use heavy cream and dismiss that anxiety but gain the calories.
- Add the basil and additional salt and pepper if needed.
- Add the pasta, stir to incorporate it into the sauce and serve.