How to Make Creamy Fennel Mashed Potatoes
Mashed potatoes are one of the most perfect foods but we are always trying to make them, not better, but different. Fennel is one of the most under-valued and seldom used vegetables and deserves more attention.
So combining classic mashed potatoes with sauteed and pureed fennel is especially good and good for you. It contains Vitamins A and C, as well as potassium and calcium. If you want to read more about fennel including how to use it in your meal planning, check out my post All About Fennel.
Now, you take two incredible ingredients, potatoes and fennel, and then add heavy cream. Wow!
Yes, it may add some extra calories, but I think it's worth it.
Always be cautious when blending warm or hot foods as they will expand. It is best to crack the cover a bit and maybe even use a clean towel over the cracked lid. Best advice…allow the product to cool first.
After the potatoes have dried slightly in the pan, rice them or hand mash to desired consistency and add half of the fennel mixture. Blend and continue to add fennel mixture to desired consistency. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper.
Creamy Fennel Mashed Potatoes
- Cut the potatoes into uniform pieces and cover with cold water.
- Add salt and bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook until potatoes are fork tender.
- While the potatoes cook, melt the butter on MEDIUM heat in a skillet til shimmery, let bubble a minute.
- Add the fennel, season with salt and pepper, stir well to coat with fat and disperse the salt.
- Cook softly for 15-20 minutes, til soft but not brown.
- Add the heavy cream and continue cooking until the cream is just beginning to bubble.
- Remove the mixture and allow to cool a bit. Carefully transfer the fennel and cream, to a food processor or blender. Process until mixture is smooth.
- When the potatoes are done cooking, drain and return to the pot and place over low heat for 2-3 minutes to remove any excess moisture.
- Mash them with a masher or a hand mixer (NOT a food processor which creates gum).
- Carefully stir in the fennel-cream mixture until well combined.
- Season to taste and serve.