The Secret to Great Sauces is Great Ingredients
If you ask my daughters what their favorite meal is, they will tell you, "Daddy's steak with sauce!"
I love that my little girls enjoy a good cut of beef like New York strip steak or a filet Mignon served with a rich brown sauce made with crushed peppercorns or wild mushrooms and a rich base to make it restaurant quality. Served with starch and a side vegetable dish, we can put it together in less than 30 minutes, and I know my wife and kids will be happy.
So What Is the Secret to Making Restaurant Quality Sauces at Home? -->> Demi Glace
What is Demi Glace?
Demi Glace is a rich brown sauce prepared by combining brown sauce and Espagnole sauce, one of the four mother sauces designated by the great 19th-century chef Antonin Carême. It is essentially the nucleus of all the great classic brown sauces and is used worldwide in restaurants to prepare them.
The problem for home cooks is it takes lots of bones, attention, and time to prepare demi-glace properly and most home cooks, including myself, don't have the time to prepare it from scratch.
Lucky for us there are now some great demi-glace products on the market including those listed below available through Amazon.
How to Elevate Your Own Sauces at Home
I would say if there is one ingredient that elevated the way I cook, it is this demi glace. I can't tell you how many meals I've cooked for friends and family and they can't believe how great the sauce is.
It doesn't matter if you spend hours working on all the other parts of the meal; the comments are always about the sauce, how I made it, and whether I can make this at home in my kitchen too.
The fact is, anyone with a little practice can grill or saute up a steak or a chicken breast. My real challenge is making an incredible homemade sauce that is good as one I may be served in a high-end restaurant.
If I can do that, the meal is a success. Most home cooks don't have the right ingredients like demi-glace because they are hard to find and even harder to make yourself.
Commercial Restaurant Quality Demi Glace Products Are Now Available to Home Cooks
Below you will find some of the best commercial demi glace products on the market in my opinion. Most of the ones listed are available with Amazon Prime so if you are a member, you can get them delivered in two days, some overnight for free delivery.
Some are packaged for home consumers, but some are often sold to restaurants and catering businesses.
The ingredients vary as do the prices. I highly recommend you read through the different products and find one or two that meet your ingredient requirements and fit your budget. Try them and compare them with other products on the market to determine which is best for you.
You may also be interested in my article, Making Sauces at Home which describes my 5 Step Method for Preparing Professional Quality Brown Sauces.
How to Make a Simple but Delicious Sauce for Steak That Even Your Kids Will Eat?
Simple Wine Sauce with Demi Glace
- Heat a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of the butter. When the butter is hot but not burning, add the minced shallot.
- Saute the shallot until translucent, about 2 minutes, depending on the pan and your stove. What I mean by this is everybody uses different quality pans and different types of stovetops. Both factors will significantly affect how quickly something will cook, so it isn't easy to give exact times.
- Remove the pan from the stove and add the wine or Port. Return the pan to the stove and add some freshly ground pepper. How much you add will depend on your individual tastes.
- Reduce the wine until there is just an essence left, practically nothing. If you are worried that I am giving alcohol to my girls, don't. It all burns off while you are reducing it. Most of it, anyway.
- When the wine is reduced, add the demi-glace to the pan.
- Simmer on low heat until the sauce is thick enough to coat a spoon or to your preferred consistency. Some people have told me they like it less thick.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of butter to finish the sauce and give it extra sheen and flavor. You may want to skip this step if you are watching your calories.
- Taste and adjust seasonings with salt & pepper.
- Serve over your favorite steaks.
That's that simple and you won't believe how great it is. It is a sure winner, and I know you will be pleased.
My Top Choices for Demi Glace