How to Prepare a Unique Version of Sweet & Sour Sauce
This is not your classic Asian sweet and sour sauce using soy sauce as a base. This version features demi glace as the base with sugar for sweetness and vinegar for the sour. It also calls for capers for a salty component.
Capers are the bud of bush indigenous to the Mediterranean. They add a briny and piquant dimension to food.
They’re a little salty so take this into account when seasoning. Nonpareil capers from southern France are considered the best.
Best Served With: Steaks - Veal Chops - Sweetbreads
Sweet and Sour Sauce Recipe
- In a small saucepan, whisk the sugar and vinegar together over medium high heat until the sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil and cook until the sugar caramelizes, constantly stirring.
- Add the white wine and whisk vigorously for a few seconds.
- Add the shallots, bring to a boil and reduce by one third.
- Whisk in the demi-glace.
- Add the raisins and capers.
- Reduce until the sauce is thick enough to coat a spoon. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately.