Basic Rice and Chicken Recipe
Arroz Con Pollo
Arroz con pollo is a traditional dish popular in many Latin American countries. It is a type of rice dish made with chicken, rice, and various vegetables and spices. The ingredients are cooked together in a single pot, usually with broth or a tomato-based sauce, to create a flavorful and satisfying meal.
There are many variations of arroz con pollo, but most recipes call for chicken pieces, rice, onions, bell peppers, tomatoes, and garlic. The chicken and vegetables are typically sautéed together before the rice is added, and the whole mixture is cooked until the rice is tender and the chicken is fully cooked.
The dish is often seasoned with cumin, paprika, and other spices to give it a unique and flavorful taste. Arroz con pollo is a hearty and flavorful dish that is easy to prepare and popular for family dinners and gatherings.
A Little History
Rice and chicken are staples in many cultures worldwide, and the combination of the two has likely been enjoyed for centuries. However, the origins of arroz con pollo need to be better documented.
The dish is thought to have evolved from various other rice and chicken dishes that have been popular in different parts of the world. For example, paella, a Spanish rice dish made with seafood or meat and vegetables, is similar to arroz con pollo in many ways.
It is likely that arroz con pollo was inspired by dishes like paella and was adapted over time to suit the ingredients and flavors of different regions. Today, arroz con pollo is enjoyed all over Latin America and beyond, and it is a popular choice for family dinners and gatherings.
Similar Dishes to Arroz Con Pollo
Many traditional dishes worldwide are similar to arroz con pollo, as they all feature rice and chicken as their main ingredients. Some examples include:
- Jambalaya is a hearty rice dish popular in the Southern United States. It is made with chicken, sausage, and vegetables and is seasoned with a blend of Creole spices.
- Biryani: a spicy rice dish that is popular in South Asia. It is made with chicken, rice, and various spices and herbs and is often served with yogurt or raita on the side.
- Chicken and rice: a simple yet flavorful dish enjoyed in many parts of the world. It is made by cooking chicken and rice in a pot with broth or other liquid and can be flavored with various herbs and spices.
- Coq au vin: a French dish made with chicken, red wine, and vegetables. The chicken is braised in the wine until tender, and the dish is served with rice or crusty bread on the side.
These are just a few examples of the many rice and chicken dishes enjoyed worldwide. The combinations of ingredients and flavors vary widely, making these dishes a delicious and diverse choice for any meal.
What is Sofrito?
Sofrito is a sauce or condiment widely used in Latin American, Caribbean, and Spanish cuisine. It is made by sautéing a combination of aromatic ingredients, such as onions, bell peppers, and garlic, in oil until they are soft and fragrant. Tomato paste or fresh tomatoes may also be added to the mixture. The ingredients are pureed or finely chopped, depending on the desired consistency.
Sofrito is used as a base for many dishes and is often added at the beginning of the cooking process to give dishes a flavorful foundation. It is used in various dishes, including stews, soups, rice dishes, and sauces. The ingredients and proportions used to make sofrito can vary widely depending on the region and the prepared dish. Still, it is a critical ingredient in many traditional Latin American and Caribbean recipes.
What is Achiote?
Achiote is a spice commonly used in Latin American and Caribbean cuisine. It is made from the seeds of the annatto tree, which is native to the tropical regions of the Americas. The seeds are ground into a fine powder with a distinctive reddish-orange color.
Achiote has a slightly sweet and earthy flavor and often gives dishes a warm, slightly spicy flavor. It is also used as a natural food coloring and is responsible for the characteristic orange-red color of many Latin American and Caribbean dishes.
Achiote is used in various dishes, including stews, soups, rice dishes, and marinades. It is also used to make achiote paste, a popular condiment in many Latin American countries.
What is Cilantro?
Cilantro is a herb commonly used in Latin American, Caribbean, and Asian cuisine. It is also known as coriander or Chinese parsley in some parts of the world. Cilantro has a distinctive, bright, fresh flavor often described as citrusy or sweet. It is used in various dishes, including soups, stews, salads, salsas, and marinades.
Cilantro is most commonly used fresh, as the flavor of the dried herb is less pronounced. However, it is often added to dishes just before serving, as it can lose its flavor if cooked for a short time. Cilantro is a popular herb in many cuisines and a key ingredient in many traditional dishes worldwide.
Arroz Con Pollo or Rice with Chicken
- 4 chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ½ cup green olives
- 1 tablespoon sofrito
- ½ teaspoon achiote
- 2 tablespoons cilantro chopped, more for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the chicken thighs and cook until they are browned on all sides.
- Add the diced onion and bell pepper to the pot and cook until they are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the rice, chicken broth, water, cumin, paprika, salt, and black pepper to the pot. Stir well to combine.
- Add the sofrito, cilantro, and achiote to the pot and stir to combine.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for about 20 minutes or until the rice is tender and the chicken is fully cooked.
- Stir in the frozen peas, green olives and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Garnish the arroz con pollo with chopped fresh cilantro, if desired, and serve hot. Enjoy!
Some of My Favorite Chicken Recipes
- Chicken Baked in Cornbread Recipe
- Sheet Pan Chicken with Roasted Plums Potatoes and Onions
- Quick and Easy Sweet and Sour Chicken Recipe
- Chicken Mushroom and Spinach Comfort Food Recipe
- Southern California Style Chicken with Rice and Beans Recipe
- Chicken Thighs with Mushrooms and Artichoke Hearts Recipe
- Simple Chicken - Tomato - Pasta Recipe
- Chicken Korma Recipe