How to Make a Delicious Arugula Salad with Fresh Peaches
A couple of weeks ago I wrote a post on How to Cook Rainbow Trout Filets and served the trout with a delicious arugula and peaches salad. Many of you contacted me and asked for the salad recipe, so here it is.
We received some incredible fresh peaches from Harry and Davids that worked out perfectly for this dish. The arugula fingerling potatoes came with our CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) weekly box. All the ingredients are easy to fine in most supermarkets including the arugula.
Also known as salad rocket, rucola, rucoli, rugula, colewort, roquette, arugula is a green-leafy vegetable of Mediterranean origin. I didn’t eat much of it until I was in my late 20’s, early 30’s and developed my taste for this peppery green.
I guess I first experienced it when Spring Mix became popular in some of the better restaurants but I quickly became hooked. It took my kids a number of years before they started enjoying it but now they both like it mixed in a salad or by itself especially the younger leaves that aren’t quite as spicy.
Arugula Salad with Peaches Recipe
- Bring a pot of water to boil. While the water is heating, prep the ingredients.
Prep the Ingredients
- Clean and dry the arugula, mince the garlic and then using the side of a large chef knife, smash until it turns into a paste. Peel the shallot and mince. You want about 4 tablespoons of shallot. Chop the almonds.
- Cut the peaches in half, remove pits and slice the peaches into thin slices. Slice the potatoes into ¼ inch thick discs.
Prepare the Ingredients
- When the water comes to a boil, add the potatoes and cook until tender when poked with a fork, about 7 minutes. Drain immediately and rinse under cold water. Reserve for later.
- While the potatoes are cooking combine the minced shallots and apple cider vinegar in a small bowl.
- Slowly add the olive oil to the bowl while constantly whisking to combine with the vinegar. You are emulsifying the oil and vinegar so they don't separate.
- Season with salt and pepper, taste and adjust seasonings.
Prepare the Salad
- In a large salad bowl, combine the arugula, sliced peaches, slice cooked potatoes and almonds.
- Add some of the dressing to the salad, toss and add more dressing if needed but don't over dress the salad. Nothing worse than a salad swimming in too much dressing.
- Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.