What do you do with overripe bananas?
Some of you may throw them out, but my wife makes the best banana bread I’ve ever tasted. Topped with a little butter or cream cheese and you have a great breakfast or afternoon snack.
Add a little ice cream and you have banana bread a la mode for dessert.
Couldn’t be easier. Usually, at least one of the girls volunteers to help. Best of all, we can pack a slice or two for the girls to take to school for snack time.
Banana Bread Recipe
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup shortening or try substituting vegetable oil
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- Butter for greasing the loaf pan
- chocolate chips
- walnuts optional
- Start by preheating you oven to 350° F.
- Combine the ingredients together in a mixing bowl (I use a Cuisinart) in the order listed above. Mix by hand (or by Cuisinart) until it forms a thoroughly blended batter.
- Transfer the batter into a greased loaf or bread pan.
- Bake until done, usually about one hour. A good way to tell if the bread is done is to stick it with a toothpick. If nothing sticks to the toothpick, it is done.