I Grew Up On This Braised Pork Recipe
My mom was from Denmark and made this Danish braised pork roast dish for us on Sundays when I was growing up. I think it was called Svinekød med brun kål, but I'm not sure. I just remember how I hated the smell when the cabbage was cooking, but loved how it tasted when it was all done.
The cabbage which cooks with the pork slowly and develops an incredible flavor that will bring you back for seconds. It's even better warmed up the next day.
Use a fattier inexpensive cut of pork with a bone that will not dry out while braising.
My mother used a Danish product called Kulør to brown the cabbage. This product is basically a caramelized sugar used as a browning agent. One brand name I've found is Kavli Soya kulør.
I'm not sure where you can get it but I would try searching for it on the Internet or contacting any Scandinavian specialty store. It is just a brown food coloring so if all else fails, I guess you can try some Kitchen Bouquet as a substitute, but it's not essential to the recipe, just adds some attractive color.
*Update* - I found the product my mom used. It's called Kavli Kulør.
Danish Braised Pork Roast
- 2½ pounds pork roast with bone
- 1 ounce butter = ¼ stick
- 1 head green cabbage sliced
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons Kulør if you can find it. I guess you could substitute Kitchen Bouquet, too
- Slice the cabbage and you are ready to go.
- In a 6 quart soup or stock pot with a heavy bottom, brown the pork roast in the butter over medium high heat. Make sure to brown all sides including the ends.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, add cabbage, water, sugar, season with salt & pepper, cover and braise for about 1½ hours until the meat reaches an internal temperature of approximately 150º F - 165º F.
- Remove the pork and let it sit on a cutting board for a couple of minutes before slicing.
- Meanwhile, stir a teaspoon of Kulør (if you have it) to the cabbage.
- Plate the cabbage, top with a few slices of pork, add your side dishes and serve.