It's Like Steak au Poivre but Vegetarian
If you want a great recipe to serve your vegetarian friends, look no further.
Creating a meal for some vegetarian friends allowed me the opportunity to try Veggie-Glace Gold (meatless Demi-Glace). I have written about some of their other products in the past and was excited about trying to create a tasty au poivre sauce without a meat base.
My friends loved the combination and were amazed at both the richness and flavor the sauce added to the mushrooms. I served the dish with sautéed spinach with pine nuts (my wife has this down to a science) , couscous and a salad of mixed greens with asparagus.
We served a Californian Pinot Noir that complemented the peppery sauce wonderfully.
Reluctant Gourmet’s Tips
- Cracked pepper corns: I opted for putting the peppercorns in a zip lock bag and cracking them on my cutting board with a hammer. Noisy, but it worked. Otherwise, set your pepper mill to course grain instead.
- Try some spray olive oil in a can, its great anytime you grill.
Grilled Portobello Mushrooms au Poivre
- 1 shallot minced
- 1 ounce butter
- 1 tablespoon peppercorns cracked
- ½ cup red wine
- 1½ ounce Veggie-Glace Gold
- 5 ounces hot water
- ¼ cup parsley finely chopped
- salt to taste
To Marinate the Mushrooms
- olive oil
- balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 5 large Portobello mushrooms
- Spray olive oil substitute another cooking oil and brush or wipe it on the grill
Au Poivre Sauce
- Start by heating the butter over medium high heat and sauteing the shallots until translucent. Deglaze with red wine, add peppercorns, and reduce until most of the wine is gone.
- Add the Veggie-Glace Gold and hot water stirring (with a whisk if you have one) constantly until the Veggie-Glace is dissolved. Simmer until the sauce has thickened enough to coat a spoon, approximately 6-8 minutes.
- Add finely chopped parsley, stir, and serve over the sliced portobellos.
Grilled Portobello Mushrooms
- De-stem the mushrooms and marinate the tops for a least an hour. Heat your grill to medium hot.
- When the grill is ready, spray it with the olive oil in a can to prevent the mushrooms from sticking.
- Grill the mushrooms for approximately 4-5 minutes per side. Slice (½ inch strips) and serve with the au Poivre sauce.
Leave a Reply