If you want a great recipe to serve your vegetarian friends, look no further.
Creating a meal for some vegetarian friends allowed me the opportunity to try Veggie-Glace Gold (meatless Demi-Glace). I have written about some of their other products in the past and was excited about trying to create a tasty au poivre sauce without a meat base.
My friends loved the combination and were amazed at both the richness and flavor the sauce added to the mushrooms. I served the dish with sautéed spinach with pine nuts (my wife has this down to a science) , couscous and a salad of mixed greens with asparagus.
We served a Californian Pinot Noir that complemented the peppery sauce wonderfully.
Reluctant Gourmet’s Tips
Cracked pepper corns: I opted for putting the peppercorns in a zip lock bag and cracking them on my cutting board with a hammer. Noisy, but it worked. Otherwise, set your pepper mill to course grain instead.
Try some spray olive oil in a can, its great anytime you grill.
Grilled Portobello Mushrooms au Poivre
- 1 lb. shallots finely chopped
- 1 oz. Butter 1/4 stick
- 1 Tb. Cracked Peppercorns
- 1/2 cup Red Wine
- 1 - 1/2 oz Veggie-Glace Gold
- 5 fl. oz. Hot water
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
- Salt to taste
- Marinate - I used olive oil balsamic vinegar, S&P
- 5 large Portobello mushrooms
- Spray olive oil in a can - Substitute another cooking oil and brush or wipe it on the grill
- Au Poivre Sauce
- Start by heating the butter over medium high heat and sauteing the shallots until translucent. De glaze with red wine, add peppercorns, and reduce until most of the wine is gone.
- Add the Veggie-Glace Gold and hot water stirring (with a whisk if you have one) constantly until the Veggie-Glace is dissolved. Simmer until the sauce has thickened enough to coat a spoon, approximately 6-8 minutes.
- Add finely chopped parsley, stir, and serve over the sliced portobellos.
- Grilled Portobello Mushrooms
- De-stem the mushrooms and marinate the tops for a least an hour. Heat your grill to medium hot.
- When the grill is ready, spray it with the olive oil in a can to prevent the mushrooms from sticking.
- Grill the mushrooms for approximately 4-5 minutes per side. Slice (1/2 inch strips) and serve with the au Poivre sauce.