Summer Side Dish
A perfect summer side dish with a South American flair that goes great with anything you put on the grill. I found this recipe in Cuisine at Home cooking magazine (one of my favorites) that was served with their Grilled Pork with Chimichurri Sauce.
I wasn't sure how sweet potatoes and pineapple would work together but I am happy to tell you they got along just fine and were delicious. On a hot summer night, they were the cooling influence to a hot and spicy Chimichurri sauce.
Couldn't be easier. Here's how to make them at your house.
The next day we served the leftover pork with the leftover sweet potatoes for a great meal. A photo is at the end of the blog.
Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Pineapple and Banana Recipe
- 1 pound sweet potatoes
- 1 banana
- ½ cup fresh pineapple
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and cut the sweet potatoes in to 1-inch cubes. One pound of potatoes should yield about 3 cups.
- Peel the banana and dice the pineapple.
- Add the potato to a pot filled with cold water and bring to a boil. Always start with cold water. Never add potatoes to water already boiling.
- Add some salt and cook until fork tender. Takes 10 to 12 minutes.
- When the potatoes are done, drain them and add them back to the pot. Heat the potatoes over medium high heat for a couple of minutes to dry them out a bit.
- When done, add them to a bowl for mashing.
- Add the banana, pineapple, orange juice, and honey to the bowl and mash to your desired consistency. Be sure to not over mash them. You want them a little bit chunky.
- Taste and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper.