A while back we had a birthday party in State College, PA for my mother-in-law. Although my sister-in-law Judy put out another fabulous spread, she asked some family members to bring one of their favorite dishes.
Cousin Vicki brought a bean salad recipe that was so good everyone had to have the recipe. I’m not sure where she found it but it was tasty so I wanted to share it with everyone. This is a perfect time of year to serve a bean salad as a side at any barbecue.
Lots of ingredients but putting it together couldn’t be easier and by all means experiment by substituting fresh beans and whatever ingredients you have on hand.
Simple Bean Salad Recipe
- 1 15 oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz can of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz can of pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz can of cannellini beans (or other white bean), drained and rinsed
- ½ large green bell pepper chopped
- ½ large red bell pepper chopped
- 1 10 oz package frozen corn kernels
- 1 medium red onion chopped
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp white sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 clove of crushed garlic
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 dash of hot pepper sauce or more to taste
- ½ tsp chili powder
- Mix all together and chill overnight and serve cold. This is one of those dishes that is better the day after it is made. Enjoy!