A while back we had a birthday party in State College, PA for my mother-in-law. Although my sister-in-law Judy put out another fabulous spread, she asked some family members to bring one of their favorite dishes.
Cousin Vicki brought a bean salad recipe that was so good everyone had to have the recipe. I'm not sure where she found it but it was tasty so I wanted to share it with everyone. This is a perfect time of year to serve a bean salad as a side at any barbecue.
Lots of ingredients but putting it together couldn't be easier and by all means experiment by substituting fresh beans and whatever ingredients you have on hand.
Simple Bean Salad Recipe
- 15 ounce can black beans drained and rinsed
- 15 ounce can kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 15 ounce can pinto beans drained and rinsed
- 15 can cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- ½ large green bell pepper chopped
- ½ large red bell pepper chopped
- 10 ounces corn kernels frozen are fine
- 1 medium red onion chopped
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce or more to taste
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- Mix all together and chill overnight and serve cold.