Fresh Green Beans Just Right
When I think of green beans, my memory takes me back to my childhood and the Green Giant. My mom served most of our vegetables from a can in the 60's except summer time when we had a garden and the green beans from the Green Giant were one of her favorites.
Ho, Ho, Ho, Green Giant
Today, with all the wonderful fresh produce available to us 365 days a year, we rarely serve anything vegetables out of a can. And with fresh, seasonal produce available at the farmer's markets, this green bean salad is the perfect side dish to many of your favorite summertime meals.
Shock and Awe
To get the green beans tender for eating but preserving some of their natural crunch, we first blanch the beans in boiling water. Then we shock them by tossing them into a bowl of ice cold water. This stops the cooking process while helping to retain their bright, green color.
Simple Green Bean Salad Recipe
- 16 ounces fresh green beans ends cut off and discarded
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 large shallot peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 3 tablespoons roasted almonds roughly chopped
- 1 drizzle olive oil
- Fill a small pot of water large enough to hold all the string beans. Add a pinch of salt to it. Bring to a boil.
- While the water heats up, add the thinly sliced shallot to a small bowl, add the sherry vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Give it a stir and let this sit while you work on the beans.
- Fill another bowl large enough to hold the string beans with water and a handful of ice to make a nice ice bath for the string beans when they are done cooking.
- When the pot of water comes to a boil, add the green beans and blanch for 3 to 4 minutes until they slightly soften and turn bright green. When done, carefully strain the beans and quickly add them to the ice bath to stop the cooking and to retain the brilliant color.
- When they are completely cooled off, strain them again and dry them with a kitchen towel. Wipe dry the ice water bath bowl and transfer the green beans into the bowl.
- Add the marinated sliced shallots including the marinating liquid to the string beans. Add the chopped almonds and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Taste and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper.
Leave a Reply