Potato, Chestnut and Celery Root Puree
- Easy prep for this recipe. Finely chop the onion. Trim, peel, and coarsely chop the celery root or if you are using celery, slice it thinly.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into 1-inch cubes.
- Rinse, drain, and pat dry the canned chestnuts.
- In a large saucepan, cook the onion in 1½ tablespoons of the butter over moderately low heat, stirring, until softened.
- Add the celery root, potatoes, chestnuts, chicken broth, and enough water to just cover the mixture and simmer, covered, for 15-20 minutes or until the vegetables are very tender.
- Drain the mixture while reserving the cooking liquid.
- Force the vegetables through a food mill fitted with the medium disk or a ricer into a warm bowl and stir in the remaining 1½ tablespoons butter, salt and white pepper to taste, and enough of the reserved cooking liquid to achieve the desired consistency.
- Transfer the puree to a serving dish and garnish with the celery leaves.