I'm looking through some old recipe files I've been saving for years when I came across this yellowed crumpled up piece of notebook paper that has my dad's recipe for homemade cole slaw. I've been looking for this recipe for years, but couldn't remember where I stuck it.
I can vividly remember that hot summer day at the Jersey shore when I bugged him to let me jot down his ingredients to my favorite cole slaw.
He liked to serve it with barbecued chicken (usually a little too crispy), fresh Jersey corn , sliced Jersey beef steak tomatoes ( with salt & pepper & mayo, of course), and his homemade potato salad... second only to my wife's'.
Before trying my wife's potato salad, I thought no one could do more with potatoes than my dad. But like my dad, my wife makes it right from her head without measuring.
So to get this recipe to you, I had to pester her with kisses until she promised to write down the ingredients. Here are both recipes for you. Hope you enjoy them....RG
- Peel potatoes and cut into bit sized cubes. Boil until tender, but not mushy.
- Drain, toss with Italian dressing (as you would a green salad) and allow to cool (may refrigerate).
- When cool, toss with eggs, celery and onion.
- In a separate bowl, mix mayonnaise,mustard, and relish.
- Combine all ingredients, add salt and pepper to taste, and chill until serving.
- May garnish with tomato wedges, sweet gherkin pickles, olives, parsley, and/or paprika.