How’s This For A Simple Pecan Pie
I received an email today that said,
“Love your site — very charming and informative and am going to try the Key Lime Pie this weekend!!! Will you be adding any more desserts??”
I responded by telling the writer I will try. Truth is, I’m not much of a baker AND I’m trying to loose a few LB’s so I don’t make a lot of desserts although I love them. Here is a simple but classic favorite of mine for Pecan Pie.
Simple Pecan Pie Recipe
- ¼ pound butter 1 stick
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup corn syrup
- ¼ tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 eggs
- ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup pecans chopped
- 1 9 inch pie shell uncooked
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. while you put these ingredients together.
- Finely chop the orange zest and chop the pecans.
- Brown the butter. Here's how. Using a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat, add the butter and cook until the edges turn brown. Be very careful not to burn the butter. The goal is to brown the edges of the butter to give it a nutty flavor. Remove the pan from the stove top and let it cool a little.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients except for the pie shell & pecans in a large mixing bowl using a whisk to blend all the ingredients together.
- Add the butter & pecans being sure to mix together well but don't overwork it.
- Pour this combined mixture into the pie shell and bake for 10 minutes on the center rack. Reduce the heat to 375° F and bake for an additional 35 minutes.
- Remove the pie form the oven and let it cool before trying to slice it.