Melt In Your Mouth Blueberry Cake
We spent this weekend in State College, PA celebrating my sister-in-law's birthday with family members coming in from as far north as Maine and even as far away as Ireland. Saturday night's meal was a Maine seafood feast with all the ingredients brought down by Katy and her boyfriend Billy.
We enjoyed lobster, Louisiana shrimp, seafood casserole, cole slaw and this delicious Melt-In-Your Mouth Blueberry Cake. The recipe was found in the cookbook, Cooking Down East and originally came from a Maine church cookbook.
Thank you Katy and Billy for a great meal and Happy Birthday Judy.
Blueberry Cake Recipe
- butter or shortening to grease 8x8 baking pan
- 2 eggs separated
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup shortening room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1½ cups flour sifted and divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1½ cups fresh blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. and grease an 8 x 8 inch baking pan with shortening or butter.
- Sift together the flour and baking powder. Remove and reserve ¼ cup to be used with the berries later. Set the rest aside.
- In a clean bowl, beat the egg whites together until stiff. In the last minute of beating, add ¼ cup sugar and beat until you get stiff, glossy peaks. Set aside.
- Cream shortening with ½ cup of sugar in a stand mixer until light and fluffy. Add the unbeaten egg yolks and vanilla. Combine until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Alternately, add the remaining 1¼ cups of flour with the milk to the stand mixer set on low speed, beating until all the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Toss the berries together with the reserved ¼ cup of the flour mixture.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold in the beaten egg whites into the batter and then fold in the blueberry/flour mixture.
- Add the batter to the greased 8 x 8 inch baking pan. Sprinkle top of batter lightly with the remaining ¼ cup of sugar.
- Bake at 350° F. for 50 to 60 minutes. You can test it with a tooth pick to make sure it's done.
- Serve with your favorite ice cream or make some homemade whipped cream.