Sausage + Spinach + Artichokes = One Great Soup
This is a very easy to make soup that is perfect when you need a quick meal on a cold night like we are having here in Philadelphia. I completely changed this recipe around from one I found in a magazine my wife purchased at the airport on our way back from Park City, Utah.
I didn’t have most of the ingredients called for in the original recipe so I made this one up based on what I had in the freezer and pantry. Everyone, including the kids enjoyed the results and it was even better the next day for lunch.
Italian Sausage, Spinach and Artichoke Soup Recipe
- Prep the sausage as describe below, rinse off the artichoke hearts and cut them into quarters, clean the spinach in cold water and grate some Parmesan cheese. Please do not use the stuff that comes in a green can.
- Heat soup pot over medium high heat until hot (do the water test), add olive oil and then the sausage. You can cut the sausage casing to remove the meat but I like to squeeze them out of the casing into the pot when its hot. Throw away the casings. As the sausage is browning, break up the pieces with a wood spoon or spatula.
- Be sure to stir the sausage so it doesn't burn. It takes about 5 to 10 minutes to brown.
- Add the chicken stock/broth, artichoke quarters plus 1 cup of water. Bring the soup to a boil and then lower the heat to a simmer.
- Add the spinach and snow peas, cover and cook for a few minutes until the spinach wilts and the snow peas are tender.