My friend Geoff prepared and served this kale slaw at a recent dinner party. He served it with Barbecue Bob’s smoked brisket and then we all watched the Michigan football game. Geoff and his wife both graduated from Michigan and are avid fans to say the least.
I think he told me he found this recipe on the Internet but made a few changes to suit his own tastes so don’t let that stop you from adding or changing an ingredient or two to make it your own.
In our house, we are going through a kale reverence. My oldest daughter makes her own kale chips for afternoon snacks and my wife has made it part of our weekly diet. I like it sautéed but this raw version is incredible.
Kale Slaw with Toasted Almonds Recipe
- 2 bunches kale shredded
- 1 head green cabbage shredded
- 2 teaspoons olive oil extra virgin
- 2 cups toasted almonds slivered
- 1 cup dried sweet cranberries
- Combine the shredded kale and cabbage in a large bowl.
- Drizzle the olive oil on the greens and mix thoroughly. I say mix, my wife said massage and she meant to get my hands in there and massage the cabbage and kale to combine with the olive oil.
- Add the almonds and cranberries and toss again.
- Combine the dressing ingredients in a food processor or blender and strain out figs seeds.
- Add some of the dressing to the slaw, mix and taste to see if it need more. Don't add all the dressing at once because it is easier to add more than remove too much.
- Taste and adjust seasonings