Maddie’s Pineapple Shrimp Recipe
by Maddie Jones
Now that school is out for the summer, I have time to cook, so a few days ago I decided to cook whatever was around for lunch. I remembered that there was some delicious looking pineapple in the fridge, which was just begging me to eat it.
Also, we have an herb garden outside, so I tasted all the herbs until I found the one that I thought would work the best, which was rosemary.
Then, I found some shrimp in the freezer, but I didn’t have time to defrost it, oops! So, that’s when my dad stepped in. He said that if you partially boil it you can cook it while defrosting it, killing two birds with one stone.
He put a medium saucepan on the stove, and put the stove on medium-heat and dumped the shrimp in. Then he reminded me that you have to always put the handle parallel to the stove, so you don’t bump it and spill it.
Next, I put a frying pan on the stove and started to heat the oil. Once the shrimp came to a boil, my dad drained them for me, since my balance isn’t so great. When the oil got hot I sautéed the shrimp to finish cooking it.
I next threw in the pineapple that I cut up and let that cook for a little. I put in the minced rosemary and let the mixture cook for a few minutes.
Lastly, I took it off the heat, and plated it in a bowl. I should have made some rice for it, but it was still delicious. I called my dad down to have some with me and he agreed it was a great lunch.
Pineapple Shrimp Recipe
- 1 lb shrimp peeled & cleaned
- 1 cup pineapple fresh
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons rosemary minced
- cooked rice optional to serve with shrimp
Prep the Ingredients
- Peel and clean the shrimp.
- Cut the pineapple into bite size pieces.
- Mince the rosemary; an easy way to do this is to put the herb in a cup and cut it with scissors until it is the desirable size.
- Put a medium saucepan filled with water on medium-high heat and add the shrimp to partially cook it; if the shrimp is frozen this is an easy way to defrost it.
- While that is cooking, heat the oil in a large pan.
- Once the water reaches a boil, drain the shrimp.
- When the oil in the frying pan is hot, put the shrimp in to finish cooking, 1 minute.
- Next, stir in the pineapple and let that cook for 1 minute
- After that, add the rosemary, mix it all together and let the shrimp soak up the pineapple juice.
- Finally, take the pan off the heat and let it cool down a little bit.
- Serve right away!
- Optional: Plate it on top of rice. Enjoy! 🙂