Using pre-made, frozen cheese tortellini saves a lot of time when making this rich tomato spinach soup. For best flavor, do try to use homemade chicken stock.
Low sodium chicken broth will do in a pinch, but I think you’ll really notice that the soup made with homemade stock will have a superior texture and flavor.
Tortellini Tomato Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter unsalted
- 7 cloves garlic chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock homemade if possible
- 6 ounces frozen cheese tortellini
- 18 ounces fresh tomatoes diced reserving juice or can of 14 oz. diced tomatoes with the liquid
- 10 ounces fresh spinach washed and stemmed: coarsely chopped if large
- 10 basil leaves coarsely chopped
- Parmesan cheese grated, to taste
- Chop the garlic, spinach, and basil. Have your chicken stock ready and grate the cheese if you buy it whole.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Don't let the garlic burn.
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Add the tortellini and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes with juice, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the pasta is just tender.
- Stir in the spinach and basil and cook until wilted, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Serve sprinkled with the grated cheese.