The Perfect Way to Start a Winter's Breakfast
Winter fruit bowl is one of my wife's favorite holiday recipes, starting on Thanksgiving when fresh cranberries are easy to find. Of course, you can make it with frozen cranberries, but I suggest you find whole fresh ones if available.
It's a straightforward recipe, and you can play around with the ingredients based on what you have in your refrigerator. Because grapefruits are so expensive this time of year, my wife uses the slices in a jar.
If we are fortunate to have someone send us a basket of ruby red grapefruit from Florida, we use them.
This recipe for winter fruit bowl came from my sister-in-law, but I did a little research on the Internet and thought it originally came from the SunCatcher Inn's cookbook "Inn for Breakfast" by Barb Wishon.
Winter Fruit Bowl Recipe
- 4 medium grapefruit
- ½ cup orange marmalade
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 3 medium bananas
My Suggestions for Additional Ingredients
- fall apples or pears, peeled
- seedless grapes
- red or white blackberries or blueberries, in season
- vanilla yogurt on top would be another treat and if you were looking for a nutritious meal you might think about a little granola.
- I'm going to assume you are using fresh grapefruit. Not as easy as the slices you find in a jar, but much more flavorful. If using fresh grapefruit, peel them, remove the pith, and section and be sure to work over a bowl so you can reserve any juices. If you use the jarred slices, use the liquid they come in.
- It would help if you had a cup of liquid, so in a medium-sized saucepan, add enough water to the natural juices to end up with a cup.
- To this, add the marmalade and sugar and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Be sure to stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the fresh cranberries and cook until the skins pop. This should take about 5 minutes but can take more. Immediately remove the pan from the heat and let it cool.
- Add your grapefruit slices, cover them, and chill in the refrigerator.
- Before serving, slice the bananas, add them to the fruit bowl, and serve.
Some of My Favorite Thanksgiving Posts
- The Cost of Your Thanksgiving Meal in 2023
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Apples and Maple-Sage Butter Recipe
- 20 Great Tips For Perfect Mashed Potatoes Every Time
- Thanksgiving Stuffing Waffle with Fried Egg
- How to Make the Best Turkey Stock For Gravy
- How to Deconstruct A Turkey
- New Spins on the Old Standards
- How to Grill a Turkey to Perfection on Your Gas Grill