Charlie Davis's Recipe for Chicken with Basil
I first me Charles Davis when he sent me an email back on January 21, 1997. He said, " I'm Charlie, aka "Cheap Charlie." Another of the week-end (and weekday) born-again-gourmets. I've been messing around in the kitchen for some 64 years and still enjoy inventing and discovering."
Wow, very cool. This was around the time I started The Reluctant Gourmet website and was thrilled anybody contacted me at all. He sent me several recipes over time but I haven't heard from him in years.
This is Charlie D's second recipe I've posted on Novice to Novice. If you like this recipe, you may want to check out his award winning Charlie D's Chicken Breasts Q.E.D.
Chicken with Basil Recipe
- 3 pound chicken broiler
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 2 medium green onions
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- ½ cup parsley
- 14½ ounce can tomatoes stewed, chunky style
- 1 can olives small, black, pitted, drained
- 1 pound mushroom caps
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary leaves only
- ½ cup fresh basil packed
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 pound linguini or pasta of choice - cooked as directed
- basil leaves for garnish
- cherry tomatoes for garnish
- Start by cutting up the whole chicken into pieces.
- The onions and peppers need to be chopped and the garlic and parsley minced. The basil should be coarsely chopped.
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms. If you are serving this with the suggested linguini, you will have to time it right so the pasta is ready when the chicken is done.
- Heat oil in a large fry pan with a tight fitting lid (or a WOK). Add chicken breast halves, thighs, legs, and wings (end joint removed). Cook, over medium heat, turning, until lightly browned. Remove chicken pieces and set aside, keeping warm.
- Add onion, peppers, and garlic to skillet and cook, stirring frequently, for about 3 minutes, or until onions are softened.
- Add half the parsley, canned tomatoes, half of the olives, mushrooms, and half the basil. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the sugar and remaining basil.
- Arrange Chicken pieces atop the sauce; sprinkle with the salt, pepper, and rosemary. Cover tightly, and cook over medium-low heat for 30 minutes, or until chicken is very tender.
- Remove cores of the cherry tomatoes and insert the remaining black olives for garnish.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according directions on package; drain.
- Remove chicken pieces from sauce, Toss pasta and sauce together. Turn onto a serving dish. Arrange chicken pieces atop pasta.
- Garnish with basil sprigs and olive stuffed cherry tomatoes.