Lea C's Pan Roasted Chicken or Is It?
Here is a recipe I do for chicken. You can use breasts or wings , (or actually any part you like). This isn't a true pan roast , because the meat is cooked with the sauce.
I guess, if you are doing large breast pieces, you could certainly turn it into a proper pan roast. Sometimes I brown breasts and finish them alone and then make a sauce, but usually I sort of half pan roast/half braise as below.
Pan Roasted Chicken Recipe
- 2 chicken breasts
- salt & pepper to taste
- ½ tablespoon paprika
- ¼ tablespoon celery salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1 small onion finely julienne
- ½ pepper red or yellow, finely julienne
- 1 shallot minced
- 1 cup mushrooms already sauteed
- ⅓ cup dry white wine
- ⅓ cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon. fresh rosemary
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Very lightly dredge chicken parts (seasoned with salt, pepper, a bit of paprika and if you like a bit of celery salt) in flour.
- Heat olive oil and butter in a sauté pan over medium high heat.
- Brown chicken quickly on all sides and remove.
- Add garlic, onion, pepper, shallot, and sauté over medium heat until everything is limp and reduced. Do not brown!
- Add mushrooms, stir all of this together, and when it is all about the same consistency turn up heat to high
- Add white wine and reduce by half.
- Add chicken stock, and fresh rosemary, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Squeeze in juice of ½ lemon. (you may add a couple of tsp. of lemon zest if you like)
- Place chicken in casserole on one layer, and pour sauce all over top of chicken.
- Cover with foil and bake at 375º F for about 45 minutes.
- Turn heat up to 425º F, uncover and bake to reduce sauce, and slightly brown chicken.
- You can serve it this way, or if you want to do a fancy prep, you can remove the chicken and deglaze again, and finish with a bit of butter, or even put all into a blender and make a smooth sauce. I have even added cream, which is rich, but very tasty. If you just serve it out of the oven as is, its rustic and has a nice texture.