Chef Charlie D’s Chicken Breast with Crab Meat Recipe
This is my own recipe. Created in 1969 while living in Fairhope, Alabama. This recipe was devised especially for, and won first place in the 1988 “Young ‘N Tender” recipe contest. We won a great cruise on the Delta Queen out of NOLA…several wonderful days.” Charlie Home Chef Charlie D’s Sauteed Chicken Breasts Topped with Crab Meat
In Charlie’s recipe he calls for 1 cup of Hollandaise Sauce which is easy to prepare once you know the ingredients and technique. You can find a good recipe plus a video showing you how to make Hollandaise Sauce here. I also have an alternative version from Australian Chef, Genevieve McGough called Genevieve’s Hollandaise Sauce.
Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Crab Meat
- 4 chicken breast halves without skin
- 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter -- divided use
- 2 tablespoons onion -- minced
- 8 ounces fresh crab meat
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup hollandaise sauce
- Remove tenders from chicken breasts; set aside.
- Place breasts between sheets of waxed paper or plastic wrap and pound with a meat mallet or rolling pin to a thickness of 1/4 inch. Trim to shape nicely; reserve trimmings.
- Mince onion and grate zest from lime; set aside.
- Cut lime in half and squeeze juice over chicken breasts, rubbing to cover each well. Sprinkle with dried thyme; set aside.
- Finely chop the tenders and trimmings; sauté in 1 tablespoon butter until no longer pink.
- Add onion and cook until tender. Add crab meat and toss gently until warmed through. Remove pan from heat and set aside; keep warm.
- Sprinkle the chicken breasts with salt and pepper; sauté in the remaining butter until lightly browned on each side. Remove to serving plates.
- Stir reserved grated lime zest into the hollandaise sauce.
- Spoon 1/4 the crab meat mixture over each breast. Nap with hollandaise sauce.
- Serve immediately with remaining sauce on the side.